Gravitational waves: Black hole detector to get upgrade
Image copyright NSF Image caption The LIGO Louisiana lab that detected gravitational waves is in line for an upgrade The UK and US governments will spend £25m upgrading the machines that made the historic first detection of gravitational waves in 2015. The improved instruments will be able to...
Search for Shackleton's lost Endurance ship called off
Image copyright F.HURLEY/SPRI Image caption The Endurance's ill-fated voyage marked the end of the "heroic age" of Antarctic exploration The...
New molecular blueprint advances our understanding of photosynthesis
Researchers at the Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) have used one of the most advanced microscopes...
Improved RNA data visualization method gets to the bigger picture faster
Like going from a pinhole camera to a Polaroid, a significant mathematical update to the formula for a popular bioinformatics...
Tiny satellites reveal water dynamics in thousands of northern lakes
Using an army of small satellites, researchers have shown that water levels in small lakes across northern Canada and Alaska...
Massive Bolivian earthquake reveals mountains 660 kilometers below our feet
Most schoolchildren learn that the Earth has three (or four) layers: a crust, mantle and core, which is sometimes subdivided...
Delays in banning wildlife trade put hundreds of species at risk
From parrots to lizards, hundreds of animal species could be at risk of extinction because of a policy process that...
Black panther: Rare animal caught on camera in Kenya
Image copyright Burrard-Lucas Photography Image caption A male melanistic leopard captured on camera in Africa, for what's thought to be...
Greta Thunberg: The Swedish teen inspiring climate strikes
Swedish teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg spoke to the BBC in September about her climate strike outside the Swedish parliament.Since...
Nasa's InSight mission: Mars 'mole' put on planet's surface
Image copyright NASA/JPL-Caltech Image caption On the surface: HP3 is on the left; the domed SEIS is on the right...
New 'mysterious' frog species discovered in India's Western Ghats
Indian researchers have discovered a new species of frog - in a roadside puddle. Sonali Garg, a PhD student at...
Cannabis use in teens linked to risk of depression in young adults
While there has been a lot of focus on the role of cannabis use in psychosis, there has been less...
Sustainable electronics manufacturing breakthrough
Simon Fraser University and Swiss researchers are developing an eco-friendly, 3D printable solution for producing wireless Internet-of-Things (IoT) sensors that...
Machine learning detects importance of land stewardship in conservation policy
At the southern tip of the Himalayas, farmers in the Kangra region of India's Himachal Pradesh graze cattle among rolling...
New dinosaur with heart-shaped tail provides evolutionary clues for African continent
A new dinosaur that wears its "heart" on its tail provides new clues to how ecosystems evolved on the African...
Scientists look to past to help identify fish threatened with local extinction
Science News from research organizations Date: February 13, 2019 Source: Wildlife Conservation Society Summary: Marine scientists have developed a methodology...
Pangolins: Rare insight into world's most trafficked mammal
Image copyright Chester Zoo Image caption The rare giant pangolin is being studied to boost its survival chances The secret...
Malaysia plastic pollution: 'We saved our town from your Western rubbish'
When illegal factories sprang up around Jenjarom in Malaysia, choking the town with toxic fumes and tonnes of plastic waste...
Current Watches, Warnings and Advisories for the United States Issued by the National Weather Service
- Special Weather Statement issued February 15 at 3:52AM CST by NWS February 15, 2019...Areas of Dense Fog affecting the Hebbronville area... At 350 am, surface observations from the town of Hebbronville, indicate that some areas of dense fog are affecting portions of Jim Hogg County. These areas of dense fog will persist through sunrise. The increasing daytime heating and southerly surface winds will then help dissipate the dense […]email@example.com
- Flood Warning issued February 15 at 1:51AM PST until February 16 at 12:00PM PST by NWS February 15, 2019...The Flood Warning continues for the following rivers in California... Sacramento River At Tehama Bridge Sacramento River At Vina Woodson Bridge Sacramento River At Ord Ferry .The Upper Sacramento River will continue to have high flows on Friday. Sacramento River at Ordwfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Flood Warning issued February 15 at 1:51AM PST until February 15 at 8:30PM PST by NWS February 15, 2019...The Flood Warning continues for the following rivers in California... Sacramento River At Tehama Bridge Sacramento River At Vina Woodson Bridge Sacramento River At Ord Ferry .The Upper Sacramento River will continue to have high flows on Friday. Sacramento River at Ordwemail@example.com
- Flood Warning issued February 15 at 1:51AM PST until February 15 at 8:00PM PST by NWS February 15, 2019...The Flood Warning continues for the following rivers in California... Sacramento River At Tehama Bridge Sacramento River At Vina Woodson Bridge Sacramento River At Ord Ferry .The Upper Sacramento River will continue to have high flows on Friday. Sacramento River at Ordwfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Weather Statement issued February 15 at 3:49AM CST by NWS February 15, 2019...Light Ice Accumulation Possible Friday Morning, then Late Afternoon into Evening... Freezing rain will be possible early this morning and late this afternoon into the evening as temperatures drop near to or below freezing across the northern portions of the state. Some sleet may mix with the freezing rain in the morning. The colder email@example.com
- Special Weather Statement issued February 15 at 4:48AM EST by NWS February 15, 2019...Light Wintry Mix Possible Tonight into Saturday Morning... Rain will overspread the area today. As colder air moves into the area tonight behind a passing cold front, precipitation will change over to a combination of snow, sleet, and some freezing rain. around 1 inch of snow will be possible along and north of the Mountain […]firstname.lastname@example.org
- High Wind Warning issued February 15 at 2:47AM MST until February 15 at 7:00PM MST by NWS February 15, 2019...High Winds Expected Through Early This Evening... ...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM MST THIS EVENING... The National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a High Wind Warning, which is in effect through early this evening. * TIMING...Through 7 PM MST this email@example.com
- Wind Advisory issued February 15 at 1:46AM PST until February 15 at 4:00PM PST by NWS February 15, 2019...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 4 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON... The National Weather Service in Elko has issued a Wind Advisory... which is in effect from 10 AM this morning to 4 PM PST this afternoon. A cold front will cross the Great Basin today bringing areas firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Weather Statement issued February 15 at 4:45AM EST by NWS February 15, 2019...BRIEF PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS EARLY THIS MORNING... An area of moderate to heavy snow and winds gusting as high as 40 mph will move from northwest to southeast through Marquette County prior to 6:30 AM. Very poor visibilities (especially in open areas) and a quick accumulation of snow will […]email@example.com
- Dense Fog Advisory issued February 15 at 2:42AM MST until February 15 at 11:00AM MST by NWS February 15, 2019...DENSE FOG ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST THIS MORNING... * LOCATIONS...Including the cities of Rangely, Dinosaur, Craig, Hayden, Meeker, Steamboat Springs, Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade, De Beque, New Castle, Mesa, Parachute, Rifle, Silt, Montrose, Hotchkiss, Delta, Cortez, Dove Creek, Mancos,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eagle rescued after huge ice ball grows on its tail February 15, 2019A bald eagle had to be rescued after a 20cm ice ball grew on its tail.
- LIGO gravitational waves: Black hole detectors to get upgrade February 15, 2019The UK and US governments announce a £25m project to improve the sensitivity of the LIGO facilities.
- Chernobyl: The end of a three-decade experiment February 14, 2019The abandoned Chernobyl exclusion zone could be about to change for the first time since the world's worst nuclear disaster.
- Chemicals 'repair damaged neurons in mice' February 14, 2019Some early studies in mice suggest drugs can be developed to halt mental decline, say scientists.
- Search for Shackleton's lost Endurance ship called off February 14, 2019Thick ice and a lost sub bring an end to the search for the famous Antarctic explorer's sunken polar yacht.
- Paying tribute to the nation's forests February 14, 2019Britons are being urged to write a poem, letter or story to celebrate the woodlands of the UK.
- Black panther: Rare animal caught on camera in Kenya February 14, 2019It's claimed this is the first time the rare animal has been photographed in Africa in a century.
- Greta Thunberg: The Swedish teen inspiring climate strikes February 14, 2019Greta Thunberg spoke to the BBC in September, but since then she's become a global phenomenon.
- Nasa calls time on silent Opportunity Mars rover February 13, 2019The 15-year mission of "Oppy" the robot is declared over after repeated failed attempts to contact it.
- Nasa's InSight mission: Mars 'mole' put on planet's surface February 13, 2019The US space agency's InSight mission positions the second of its surface instruments on Mars.
- New 'mysterious' frog species discovered in India's Western Ghats February 13, 2019The new species were found after three years of extensive explorations in the Western Ghats.
- Giant pangolins: Study by Chester Zoo to protect mammals February 13, 2019Conservationists from Chester zoo are conducting the first ever study of the animals, in Uganda.
- Pangolins: Rare insight into world's most trafficked mammal February 13, 2019Scientists release rare footage of the secretive giant pangolin to highlight the scaly mammal's plight.
- Dirty secret February 13, 2019One small town has become a dumping ground for the world's waste and it's causing a stink.
- Kings of the jungle on top in photo award February 13, 2019The winning pictures in this year's Wildlife Photographer of the Year People's Choice Award.
- 'We saved our town from your plastic rubbish' February 13, 2019When a Malaysian town was inundated with foreign plastic waste, a group of villagers decided to fight back.
- Green New Deal : Can this plan pushed by some Democrats really work? February 12, 2019A radical plan to tackle climate change pushed by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may now come to the Senate for a vote.
- China and India help make planet leafier February 12, 2019There are now more than 2 million sq miles of extra leaf area per year, compared with the early 2000s.
- What happens when you take a genealogy test February 12, 2019Two BBC journalists succumbed to the trend and took at-home genealogy tests. This is what they found.
- Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering: GPS pioneers lauded February 12, 2019Four Americans are celebrated for their roles in developing the sat-nav Global Positioning System.